Monday, August 10, 2009

born free

Today I ran into a friend and her brand new baby. She had a beautiful birth, all natural, in a hospital. She attributed her going for a drug free birth after watching The Business of Being Born over and over again. I think she is the second person I know that has had a natural birth in the hospital. Sadly, it just doesn't happen that often.
I look forward to my doula days when I can help women who want an unmedicated birth achieve that goal. For now I will keep this dvd in my library and lend it out to every. pregnant. woman. I . know.
I spent much of my day around a hospital last week waiting for a friend who was seeing a doctor. I saw many sick people walking by. So many people that looked tired and weak, wheelchairs, canes, a children's hospital sign that took me by surprise. I saw many sick people, young and old and it broke my heart. And I saw several pregnant women that day. Beautiful with large round bellies, none of them had a smile though I gave them one. It didn't feel like the place for them, they didn't fit. Granted, some may have complicated pregnancies and need hospital care, but most healthy pregnant women just need a midwife and to be given the knowledge and opportunity to experience what birth is supposed to be like.



"Remember this, for it is as true and true gets: Your body is not a lemon. You are not a machine. The Creator is not a careless mechanic. Human female bodies have the same potential to give birth well as aardvarks, lions, rhinoceri, elephants, moose, and water buffalo. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body."

- Ina May Gaskin


No comments: