Tuesday, May 3, 2011

back in lala land

This weekend past was a little lonely without Zach.  It was easy to keep busy with visiting our usual haunts and just playing around the house and in the garden.  It's been wonderful seeing our friends again.  Greta started up in her woodworking class 2 days after we arrived home, she returns to ballet today, tomorrow the kids both start a few classes at The Purple Twig art studio, and after that maybe we'll find time to go pick up our fish, Tok and Smoocho!
On Saturday we visited our favorite Cafe de Leche.  While we were in New Orleans they installed the first bicycle corral in Los Angeles!  It's a very progressive step for a sprawling city designed for the automobile. 
So why is that black bike parked on the sidewalk?   



Inside was crowded.  Hen had his usual bagel.

Greta wore a hat she stole from me.  It's much cuter on her anyway.


The usual hipsters congregate.

Pretty daffodils.

Local art.

When I asked this woman if I could photograph her arm, she asked that I write a caption.  She wrote some things down and I of course lost the paper, but I will go on what I can remember...
Her name is Joanna (?) a native North East Los Angeles resident.  She is a psychology professor and therapist, and was in the midst of a conversation with her friend Patti, a doula, regarding the unfortunate hostilities that come along with gentrification.  I believe they had just experienced such an encounter.
They were very friendly, beautiful, and interesting ladies.

And then yesterday a drive to the ocean and this is the only picture I took.

Compassion. The world could use a little more of this, yes?


I am trying to see LA with eyes and mind refreshed.  Noticing and appreciating the everyday sights, quirkiness, and diversity that is Los Angeles.  It feels good to be home.

11 comments:

Ariane Reichardt said...

Dearest Rachel,
thank you for your visite, it has been delighted me.

Your 'local art-story' of Joanna remember me at http://hihappypanda.blogspot.com/2011/04/meet-mae-fern.html -homestory.
With your compassion you open doors and hearts.
Blossoming greetings,
x Ariane.

Maria said...

I wish you many good days in May.
Your pictures are beautiful as usual.
maria

Color Land said...

Hi Rachel, we went to cafe de leche on saturday too!! We need to plan to go together! I love that place......
It's nice to know that you're home enjoying LA!

Zachary Fannin said...

Oh man, those beautiful pictures of my beautiful babies is killing me! 3 more weeks…

Lil Muse Lily said...

I'm sure L.A. can be such a crazy and hectic place to live in just like any big city but, I love L.A.
thank you for sharing NOLA with us and now thank you for being back home and sharing L.A.

Peggy Ray said...

Looking cool in LA! Kids look like they're already back in the swing of things. Mr. Hen is so close to 3! Babyhood flew by fast being long distance.

Maija said...

love your pictures!
-maija-

nadine paduart said...

tee hee, rachel... a doula.... it reminds me of AWAY WE GO, in which those hippy parents talk about doulas like it was today's invention... i laughed myself to bits with that scene, but obviously this lady here means business.
i'm glad a would-be-little-miss-sunshine is at hand too...
oi, oi, this must be nice, being back...
n♥

Patrice A. said...

lovely images
must be good to be home

Sara said...

Will you adopt me? Please?

Unknown said...

this is going to be fun! seeing LA LA Land through your eyes. Afterall, its all about perspective right? you will find the good i know :)