Tuesday, July 26, 2011

best surprise. ever.

Zach loves to surprise me.  He's always been a romantic.  In high school I remember he wrote my name in leaves in the middle of the street one autumn.  Sometimes when I would walk to the bus he would watch me till I was out of sight, way down the street he'd be waving every time I would turn around.  I thought him a tad crazy but I loved it.  These days he finds great joy in cleverly disguising presents or leaving notes in odd places where he'll know I'll find them.   Zach is very creative and very spontaneous.

The kids and I won't be in Boston until the middle of next month.  Zach and I spoke of a possible visit to LA in between to ease the separation anxiety that we are all feeling.  But with airline tickets sky high and mortgage, etc. etc., it just wouldn't be something we could afford.  This was disappointing.  So instead I just prepared myself mentally for another three weeks, thats all.

Friday night I called Zach at about 10pm Boston time and his phone went straight to voicemail.  I assumed he was either out with friends or asleep.  I stayed up late watching a movie and was preparing to go to sleep when he calls.  It was 1am LA time and 4am Boston time.  He doesn't typically stay out that late so I was a little worried.  He sounded cheerful on the phone and asked me about my day.  I asked him what he'd been doing, he said "seeing the sights".   This sounded odd but I was too tired to ask any more questions.  Then he says, " Can you go open the front door?"  I stay silent thinking he is talking to someone outside his hotel or something.  He asks again and again.  "Are you talking to me?" I say.  I go to the front door.  I see a van outside with it's lights on and engine running and Zach through the window!
"Are you here?!"  I couldn't believe it.  I opened the door and embraced my dream come true.  It literally felt like I was dreaming at that hour.

We spent the weekend in familial bliss.  The kids were so excited to be with him.  They played, chatted, shared, and laughed.  It was the perfect present he could have given us, the perfect surprise that none of us expected.  He's kind of awesome like that.

Now feeling recharged and filled up with love, we will get through the next 3 weeks.  I'll be packing, making lists, preparing myself and the kids for the adventures ahead.  A week in Oregon and then Boston (Marblehead to be exact).

We drove Zach to the airport last night, he took the redeye back to Boston.  Upon landing this morning with maybe 2 hours of sleep on the plane, he took a bus to the hotel, dropped his bag inside, then headed straight in to work!  I'm not sure how he did it, but he did.  What I do know, as with most things that my crazy, sweet, and big hearted husband does...he did it for his family.

We love you, Zach!  PAPA!


Leaving LAX airport.

9 comments:

Ariane Reichardt said...

Wonderful... lovely...crazy in LOVE!
and you've written this love story very well, dear Rachel.
Heart-warming... overflowing.

xo Ariane

Maria said...

I love this all you told here -How lucky you and he are !You are really a very special and lovely women Rachel♥
hugs
maria

Meg said...

Gorgeous! What a beautiful surprise. xx

Lil Muse Lily said...

that is soooooooo romantic! :)

Color Land said...

What a beautiful surprise! This is so romantic!
I'm so happy of you!
Love the way you describe everything!

Patrice A. said...

now you two
made me cry
....
thank you!

x

lamediterrània said...

How beautiful! What a great surprise.
You've got a lovely blog, I like very much the pictures you take from your children, and the way they make me feel, like having children is not the end of one's life of fun, but only the beginning of new adventures!
Greetings from the twin place of L.A., Spanish East Coast.

nadine paduart said...

well. what can anyone add to that? you describe it so lovingly... woh-hoh. lovely, for you, the kids and for zach too, of course...
so. you already have an address in boston? i kinda want to write to you on a boston address... is that totally weird
(it also allows me a little more time to prepare, you know...).
n♥

Peggy Ray said...

How sweet and lovely. What a wonderfully fun crazy partner you've got there! True Romance!